25 June 2010

"National Dish" and "National Clothes" with My Lovely Host Family

dojko, my host brother, is rolling out what i called "mongolian pizza"

which kept getting bigger and bigger

as dojko started to roll the dough,
he said he was making a "mongolian national dish"

i told him it looked like he was making "mongolian spaghetti"

my host cousin helped by chopping all the veggies for this "national dish"

"emee," my host grandma, sat in an old school desk-chair,
and watched the boys cook away like professionals

dojko poses proudly with his "mongolian national dish"
i still don't know its proper name and so i call it:
"mongolian spaghetti with mutton, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes"
(the same ingredients for all the mongolian dishes i've had so far)

my host mother stirs the cooked and ready-to-eat "national dish"
while my little host sister looks cute as always

my host father, eegii, and my host mother, gunjee

mongolian-english and english-mongolian dictionaries are never far away
even during dinner

it's always fun communicating by charades when dictionaries fail

after dinner:
my host mother dresses me up in her del
"mongolian national clothes"

happy to be adopted into my lovely mongolian family

No comments:

Post a Comment